As Birmingham’s leading roofing providers, here at JMS Roofing, we provide a wide range of roofing options. This includes felt roofing, and green rooking. And one of the most popular and effective types of green roofing is the sedum roof. But are there any considerations for installing a sedum roof? And what are the advantages of going green?
Installing a sedum roof
A sedum roof is a green roof made up of hardy sedum plants. These plants can survive and grow in a variety of conditions. Even extreme conditions. Before opting for a sedum roof, you need to know that your roof:
- has the load bearing capacity
- has only a small amount of slope
- faces a good direction
If your roof meets the requirements, we can install a sedum roof. This will involve:
- Laying a waterproof membrane first to protect your roof from the volume of water the sedum roof will hold.
- Adding a drainage layer on top of this which also works as a root barrier. This drainage layer will be responsible for spreading the water out across the roof, and preventing it from pooling in one place. As a result of this irrigation, 80% of the rainwater can then be stored.
- The sedum mat will then be added on top of this. We will simply roll it out over the top of the drainage layer. The sedum is sewn into the mat already, so you will have a colourful green roof immediately.
Advantages of sedum roofing
So if you do decide to go to the trouble of creating a green roof, what are the advantages? Well, there are many, including:
- Creating a habitat on your roof- a sedum roof creates a space for all kinds of animals. From bees and butterflies, to birds, your sedum roof can support a thriving eco-system and create a habitat that would not otherwise be available.
- Longevity- a green roof will last a lot longer than the 15 years you can expect from a felt roof. So you’ll save money on replacements.
- Drainage- because the water spreads across the roof, your gutters and drains will have less rain to deal with, and the rain will also run off the roof much slower than before.
For more information or advice about your green or sedum roof, get in touch with the professionals today, here at JMS Roofing.