Here at JMS Roofing, we are Birmingham’s leading roofing experts. From residential roofing solutions, to commercial and industrial properties, we can provide the roofing solutions you need. As a result, we have produced this guide to everything you should know about autumn maintenance for green roofs.
What does Autumn maintenance involve for green roofs?
To keep your green roof in top condition, there are some important maintenance steps you will need to consider. Autumn is often an important time to carry out this maintenance, in preparation for the colder and wetter winter weather. As part of this maintenance you should consider:
- Collect any debris or rubbish, including leaves, and remove this from the roof
- Identify any issues or problems with the green roofing and make arrangements for these to be repaired and rectified before winter
- Cleaning out gutters and drains for effective drainage
- Trimming any overgrown vegetation to enable improved growth the following year.
What are the benefits of Autumn maintenance for green roofs?
There are a number of benefits to undertaking maintenance steps for your green roof in the Autumn. These benefits include:
- Keeping your roof in good condition- taking the time to look after your roof in the Autumn can help to keep your roof in great condition, particularly into the winter season. This is because anything that builds up on your green roof, that should not be there, can block drains, damage the vegetation, and even reduce the thermal qualities of the green roof.
- Preventing water damage- clogged drains can cause a big problem with water retention and ultimately, water ingress. Autumn maintenance is a good chance to remove any fallen leaves, or dirt that could be clogging your drainage system, to prevent these issues occurring over winter.
- Preventing vegetation damage- without maintenance the vegetation that makes up your green roof can be damaged, which can leave bald patches that look unsightly and leave your green roof messy and unkempt.
For more information or advice, get in touch with the team today, here at JMS Roofing.